Thursday, August 2, 2012

London Olympics

We watched the opening ceremony of the London Olympics from a summer share in the Hamptons.  This isn't my first time watching the Olympics on vacation.  After high school, my friends and I took a trip to Florida where I remember watching the 2004 Olympics from a cottage we rented in Palm Beach.

My favorite summer Olympic sports are diving and gymnastics, however now that I do yoga, I am no longer as captivated by the skill of gymnasts.  Even though it is more difficult than yoga, I think the basic idea is the same.  And yoga is more calming :)  Like gymnastics, some poses in yoga are more challenging than others.  In honor of the Olympics, I am learning how to do a forearm stand.  In yoga, transitioning between poses or "flowing" is emphasized similar to a gymnastics routine.  Except in yoga you can take breaks. 

forearm stand... someday

Watching the Olympics on vacation was a treat because there are many gluten-free friendly stores in the Hamptons to stock up on goodies.  If you need gluten-free food for your home, I recommend stopping by Citarella which has locations in Bridgehampton and East Hampton.  So far I have found several restaurants that I would recommend for those with vegan diets or food allergies/sensitivities:

Southampton Social Club (256 Elm Street Southampton, NY): Try the Charred Vegetable Napoleon with grilled summer squash, zucchini, chanterelle mushrooms, eggplant & tomato, layered and served with organic red quinoa & heirloom tomato reduction.  It is vegan and gluten-free.

Babette's Restaurant (66 Newtown Lane East Hampton, NY): Babette's is a healthy foods restaurant which uses organic, local and seasonal ingredients.  It has a separate gluten-free menu which you can request.  The gluten-free menu is extensive so there are a lot of choices if you have food allergies.  I ordered the Sesame Crusted Tofu with grilled asparagus, roasted yellow baby squash, brown rice and Korean dipping sauce.  It was delicious :)  Babette's is my top recommendation if you are looking for casual and healthy eating in East Hampton.

Andrra (39 Gann Road East Hampton, NY):  Andrra is my favorite restaurant in the Hamptons. It's located on the water which is great because you can look at the bay and see all the boats at the dock. Andrra offers Mediterranean inspired seafood so it's a better restaurant for pescatarians than vegans. When I ate at Andrra, I ordered the Andrra salad with no additions and the flounder. I really enjoyed my salad but my friend ordered one of the specials - a salad with pear and walnuts which was actually better. The flounder was pretty good, but I was full by the time it came. Andrra has a great atmosphere, and I definitely recommend checking it out if you have the chance!

What are your favorite beachfront gluten-free spots?

No comments:

Post a Comment